Monday, February 8, 2010

Make-over!

If you are a regular "viewer" of my blog, which im sure there arent many of, then you can tell that I have given my layout a make-over.

Make-0vers are typically though of as being a physical thing. When Tyra takes in new "top models" she gives them a hair and makeup make-over. She takes their tired, old, frumpy look and gives them a fresh, new look.

Make-overs, however, arent purely physical. I myself have been trying not only to make-over my outsides but my insides as well.

Outsides
For the past month and a half at 630 a.m. you can find me at the gym workin' on my fitness. This is the outside part of my personal make-over. I have been working on losing the weight that I had gained from being lazy over the summer and last semester. I also chose to make-over my outsides to feel better on the inside. Before I started to work out on a daily basis I was a lazy fool watchin' tons of junk TV and doing nothing productive. Since I have been going to the gym, I find myself being more apt to doing my homework on time and sometimes even ahead of time. It wakes me up for the day and i am a happier person. Working out has also changed my thoughts about working out. Before I couldnt stand the thought of getting up at 630 am to go hurt and sweat, now I cant wait to do it! I actually look forward to making myself healthy on the outside. Its become a part of my daily routine that I couldnt live without. Eating healthy has also become part of my daily routine. Instead of going for the fries and cookies at dinner I head for the salad bar. Of course I cant go a week without eating some sort of fatty food, I am a human after all but I tend to keep those kinds of foods at a minimum. but dang they are soooo yummy!

(Now, I understand that working out isnt for everyone and people love their fast food so dont think that this is a post about going out and supporting your local gym. I could care less about that. But I do think its important to take care of your body and to feel good about yourself. (this is also not a post on self-esteem, either))

Insides
The other half of my make-over had been on the inside of my body. Now I'm not talking about having big muscles or healthy organs, the insides that I'm refering to is my soul. (Now i have been a little lax on this part lately as the new semester has begun but Im hoping to get back on track with it ASAP) Earlier, when I talked about being lazy not only did I mean that I had become a couch tater but I also meant that I had become lazy with my faith. Honestly, I have been lacking in the faith department for a few years now. Its only been jsut recently that I have mounted back on the horse again (I was never really off the horse, I love me my Jesus,but my body was just half on half off). A part of what got me back on the horse was my "college church's" new preacher. Dont get me wrong, their old preacher was really nice and O.K. but the new one. WOW. I have never seen a man cry while talking about Jesus' crucifixion (sp?). Every Sunday he delivers a message that touches right on to what has been bugging me all week. Its like he writes the sermons with my life in mind. I actually take notes on the important things he says.
I also have changed my lifestyle. I have tried to listen to a little more David Crowder and less Dave Matthews. I have tried to limit myself to what I watch 0n TV. Instead of the Jersey Shore, I watch iCarly. Taking those things out of my life has had an impact. I dont curse as much and I am more likely to be kind to people. It just goes to show that you are what you watch.

Conclusion
Yeah, physical make-overs are fun and make you feel prettier than before, but a soul make-over changes your whole lifestyle. It changes what you do and how you view the world. But most importanly it changes how you relate to God (I know I didnt really touch on this earlier, it just came to me). By changing your soul you open it up to God. You make it able for Him to come in and change it they way He wants it. Which, I have to keep reminding myself, is the way it should be.

3 comments:

  1. It's always encouraging to hear updates like these. Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. betty! this is beautiful, and inspiring. i'm so glad you've found solace in exercise (welcome to my life!) & rediscovered solace in God---He's the man, isn't He?
    loveyoualot--- Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. BETTY

    i enjoy reading yr blogs, and i am happy to see you are still blogging! good insight into the joys and challenges change brings. keep it up!

    and to respond to yr own post on my blog-first, thanks for reading! and secondly, i totally did go to florence and saw the doors of the baptistry!! do not worry, there are photos! it is great you are studying that stuff. it is insane to see it up close and in person. absolutely transforming.

    ReplyDelete